Sunday, May 9, 2010

"If you're lucky enough to be Irish, then you're lucky enough.."

Well, I survived a 7-hour flight, ate a measly breakfast, and went on two back-to-back tours in Dublin, and I’m still awake!

So after close to six hours of sporadic sleep, and lugging heavy luggage around we made it onto our bus and sped off into the city of Dublin. We arrived in Dublin and before our back-to-back tours began, we were allowed to explore the city awhile. Well, what is one thing most people want to do when they come to the wonderful Emerald Isle? That’s right, drink an authentic Guinness.

I had always wondered why the beer was supposed to taste better here in Ireland. My question was answered when a bartender at Duggan’s Pub explained it was because of all the preservatives that are added to the beer in order to ship it so it says fresh. You learn something new everyday!

My favorite part of the day is easily our trip to the Dublin Castle. The architecture was beautiful, and the locals in Dublin are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Just about everywhere I have been people having been striking up conversations with me as if they have known me for years. The most interesting thing I found out about the architecture was about the Scales of Justice Statue, and how much controversy it had caused. The statue faced inwards onto the cobblestone courtyard, with her back to the Irish people. She wasn’t wearing a blindfold, which meant she wasn’t impartial, nor unbiased.

The Dublin Castle was full of interesting facts, and I was quite excited to see the crest of Mary Robinson, the first woman president of Ireland. I had done my research paper on Mary Robinson as the first woman President of Ireland, in comparision to Barack Obama as the first African-American President of the United States. The tour was so interesting, and I’m happy to say I got a big chunk of shopping done for my family back in the states. And I have to say; I quite like it here so far, even if it has only been one day.

I hope David Kelly is having an awesome birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID! And lastly to all of the mother’s back home, and their children are here in Ireland, I hope you all still had a happy Mother’s Day. Happy Mother’s Day Mommy!

This first day in Dublin has been amazing, and I cannot wait for more in our days to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment