Thursday, May 13, 2010

"In Ireland the inevitable never happens and the unexpected constantly occurs." --Sir John Pentland Mahaffy

It was a great night on the town, we started at O’Shea’s for dinner, and a few songs, and an Irish dance. Andy, Bethany, Nicole, Caiti, Micky, Aaron, Jeremy, David and I went on a hunt for a bar near The Temple Bar called Buskers. They told us they would put on the Pens game so all of us were really excited. We felt that people were giving us wrong directions, but everyone told us to just keep going straight, and we eventually ended up there. David, me, Bethany, Caiti, Nicole and Micky danced the night away and watched the Pens game periodically. So sad they lost L

It was a late start today, and I got some much needed sleep. We all met down in the lobby and hopped on our bus to Dublin City University again to meet with Dr. Flynn. I was covering the lecture today, so it was fun taking pictures of him in action. He spoke to us about the Internet and digital media in Ireland. It was interesting to see how their online newspapers differ from ours. They are much more user friendly in their layout and designs. Most of the online newspapers don’t have multiple links all around so it’s a lot more simplified.

Afterwards we hopped back on the bus and headed for Photocall Inc. to talk with a few photographers. They showed us a few slide shows of their photos from the 1980’s and ‘90s, when divorce and abortion and poverty were big issues in Ireland. They also spoke about how many photographers have to more versitile in todays industry. Many photographers have to do a lot of Public Relations were now a days, and be their own PR representatives. I thought that was interesting because on one of our previous lectures alksjd spoke about how many people in communications such as journalists are switching over to the Public Relations industry.

Afterwards we hopped back on the bus which was our last time with our wonderful bus driver Vlad. WE ARE GOING TO MISS YOU VLAD! Most of the photography and photojournalism students opted to take an additional trip to Mulligan’s pub to speak with a photographer, but I was too tired, and too hungry for it. I wish I would have gone, some of them said it was really fun and that the photographer was really cool.

This day has gone by rather quickly. I blame it on the late start to the day, and the chicken fingers and french fries from Pizza Max. It’s gonna be an early night tonight, and I may not go to kareoke with everyone. I would go out except for the fact I have to wake up at 5:30 a.m! We are catching a train at 6:30 a.m. and going to Belfast. We have a full day in Belfast tomorrow and I may get another stamp on my passport! That’s so exciting.

I’ve been having a great time this week, and the trip is going by so quickly. I don’t wanna miss a thing, so I hope it doesn’t go by too quickly.

1 comment: