Tuesday, May 11, 2010

“We may have bad weather in Ireland, but the sun shines in the hearts of the people and that keeps us all warm.”--Marianne Williamson

So everyone, I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog posts so far because this one is particularly interesting.

Let's just keep it short and simple about this morning. I'm laying in my bed all nice and cozy just about at the end of my REM sleep (I assume), and am woken up by my roommate Caiti telling me to wake up. Caiti, myself, Ryan, and Micky all slept through our alarms and were all finally awake at 7:47 a.m. Oh, did I neglect to mention we had to be in the lobby, dressed in professional attire, by 8:00 a.m? It was a hectic morning to say the least, but we made it down to the lobby to meet everyone by 8:04 a.m. So four girls getting ready in 17 minutes? I don't know about you but I think it's pretty impressive.

After we finally arrived down in the lobby, Rachel (our tour guide), lead us through Dublin on foot to our first destination, the Buswells Hotel. We all walked inside to a place that seemed to be fitting for the movie Titanic. Crystal chandeliers and orchestra music play all included. We sat in the Executive Room and waited for Gerry Davis to arrive. Mr. Davis is the Chief Executive of the Public Relations Institute of Ireland. He gave us a short lecture about public relations in Ireland, and just how new of an industry it really is. Many universities don't have Public Relations as a major of choice, and those that do offer it only accepted the programs a short 3-years ago. I found it very interesting how much of a wealth of information he had about the industry considering how new it is to Ireland.

After his lecture, we meant outside of the hotel in the warm sun and bone chilling wind to walk to our next destination. Four city blocks later we arrived at the advertising agency Ogilvy. First we met with Jo Wood who showed us a montage of the campaigns she worked on since she started at Oglivy in 2004. She spoke about her career, and about what types of things people in the advertising industry need to have. Creativity being a key skill. Soon her co-worker, Claire, joined in on the lecture and spoke to us about her experiences as well. I found the lecture to be particularly interesting. They had a lot of good advice about being in the industry, and Claire works with the web designing and internet aspect of advertising. A field that I have been thinking about and looking in to. Now that I think about it, I should have gotten her information to speak with her about it. Oh darn, I guess I will google it!

After our morning of lectures, we were free to go. Really? Free to go? Walk the streets of Dublin unchaperoned? Don't worry, no funny business here. I went to change out of dress clothes and Jeremy and I walked to the Temple Bar for lunch together. Really interesting fact about Ireland we found out as well. It is illegal to take your leftovers with you after you eat in a pub or restaurant. Why? Because laws state the chef is still responsible for the food after you leave! Insane, so our waitress made a take out box from a lid and saran wrap for us. I hope we don't get caught!

But thats it for my day so far. A few of us are meeting around 7:30p.m. to check out a local pub that offer live music each night, so let us hope we get a good act tonight! Hopefully I can get a little more shopping done here, and maybe finally exchange my American dollars for euros? Who knows what the night has in store for me? Let's all hope its a lot of fun! Until tomorrow everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment