Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"May the roof above us never fall in." - Irish Blessing

So the trip is winding down now, and as one of our last days here, we had a free day here in Killarney.

I also wanted to add that in my daze of tiredness yesterday, as I read through my blog today, I realized I didn't let anyone know about the most interesting part of my day. The sheepdog demonstration! It was so amazing to see how obedient the dogs were, and how well they listened to commands. Each dog knew different commands that were individually assigned to them. It was fun to see how the sheep herder called the dogs to make the sheep turn left, and turn right. It was also hysterical to see the dogs walk a few steps and stop, and walk a few steps and stop as there master commanded them. It was so interesting.

But back to today...

I woke up early enough for breakfast, and then headed out to take pictures for my project. I walked all around, but I stayed close enough to the hotel so that I was comfortable. I found a few people that were willing to be photographed and they worked perfectly for my web project. So many of you who are reading this might be confused as to what my project is. Let me take a moment to explain.

Everyone here has to do a web project component as part of the graded assignments for the class. We all picked our own projects, and we cover them while here in Ireland. My topic is a photo essay about "the people of Ireland." It seems pretty general, but I narrowed it down to mostly photographing the blue-collar workers of Ireland, and I also photographed a few street performers.

But anyways, I was able to photographer, a butcher, a baker, and a candle stick maker. Ha ha, wait some people might not get that reference. It's from a children's poem. Anyways!

I really did get a butcher, I also photographed a candy shop owner, a horse-drawn carriage driver, and cop giving out a ticket! All in all I'm pretty happy with today's progress, and I'm hoping to get that last few photographs tomorrow while we are on exploring Limerick.

After that I came back to have lunch with Caiti and Jeremy, and we went shopping a little bit. I got a few things for myself, and now I am seriously done purchasing things! I'm running out of money!

Jan, myself, and the rest of the photography students met up at 4:00 p.m. today to discuss the process of putting the photographs online for our website. Afterwards at 4:30 p.m. a speaker from the Kerryman Newspaper, the editor-in-chief, Declan Malone. He was hesitant to talk to us, he seemed to be a quiet man. We managed to open him up by asking questions. 

Frankie asked about his staff, and I thought the most interesting thing about it was how small his staff was. He said there aren't any photographers on staff because they hire all freelance photographers! To me that seems insane, and sad. Also there are only four writers on staff, and two of them cover sports! So that leaves the other two to write the rest of the paper! But mostly he said once again he hires freelance writers. To me it seems like the paper is solely relying on freelance photographers because of how cheap it is. 

I was fascinated by what he had to say, but my hunger quickly took over once his lecture was done. 

I am currently trying to pack my suitcase with all of my gifts from Ireland, and its a daunting task I must say. So everyone wish me luck and hope that I don't have to leave anything behind!



No comments:

Post a Comment